Thump's Place FL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thump's Place FL

For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

installing system mechanic

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jeanhump

installing system mechanic Empty
PostSubject: installing system mechanic   installing system mechanic Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 7:04 am

I HAD USED SYSTEM MECHANIC FOR A YEAR OR MORE BUT LET IT EXPIRE. WHEN TRYING TO RE-INSTALL, IT DOWNLOADED TO A CERTAIN PLACE AND THEN A POP-UP INFORMED ME THAT SOMETHING PREVENTED IT'S CONTINUING. THEY SUGGESTED THAT IT WAS SOME OF MY SAFETY FEATURES AND ADVISED ME TO DISABLE SPYWARE OR SOME SIMILAR PROGRAM BUT I COULDN'T FIGURE HOW TO DO IT. IN FACT I COULDN'T EVEN DETERMINE IF I HAD THAT PROGRAM. I COULD TRY AGAIN AND DETERMINE EXACTLY WHAT IT SAID IF THIS COULD HELP IN DETERMINING WHAT I NEED TO DO TO REINSTALL.
DO YOU THINK THIS PROGRAM IS ACTUALLY HELPFUL IN INCREASING THE SPEED AND EFFICIENCY OF A COMPUTER? I MAY NOT EVEN NEED SYSTEM MECHANIC.
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME OPINIONS.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: installing system mechanic   installing system mechanic Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 9:25 am

It's been years since I got interested in it and tried it out but it must not have impressed me very much. If you've got everything else set up and working right you surely don't need it. I would not disable my antivirus and spyware removal tools.
The most likely cause of the install problem is that the old one is still installed and the same folders the program is trying to make are already there. I'd check in the start menu and see if it's still there and if it is see if it has it's own uninstall shortcut.
Failing that, you can go to "Control Panel" and click on "Add or Remove Programs" and after it populates select the program by clicking it once and then click "Add or Remove"??, I don't have a XP machine hooked up right now but something like "Add or Remove" and then follow through with it.

I'll ask at another forum where there's a lot of young people who are very knowledgable about computers and see what they say but they've never mentioned it. Was there any specific reason you wanted to use it? If not I wouldn't install it just to have something else installed. If you don't need it don't install it is the safest way.

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: installing system mechanic   installing system mechanic Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 1:57 pm

I checked and even the paid version got a bad review.
"As such, it comes up short and cannot be recommended.
ZDNet Review of the Paid Version"

A few seperate steps can do most of the same stuff better and
some are included with Windows itself.
You need a good antivirus program. I sent yours with AVG but it's
gone now but you can download one from either of these places below:
AVG download page or Avira Download Page
They are both starting to get rid of malware and spyware now but
you should still have a seperate tool for that, I use AdAware.
AdAware Download Page.
Microsoft also has one that's not as thorough but get's the really bad ones called Windows Defender. You probably already got it if you have Windows Updates enabled and you should.

I don't know what the people who "fixed" your machine put on there but you might want to download and run PC Decrapifier and let it take off anything you don't use. Download it here

OK, the rest are in Windows itself.
To clean up left over junk that might get in the way, Click the
Start Button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup and run that.
Defragging:
Start Button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter and run it.

I'm sure you don't use your machine as much as I use mine so run them all about once a month I guess unless you're having problems in between times.

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: installing system mechanic   installing system mechanic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

installing system mechanic
Page 1 of 1