Thump's Place FL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thump's Place FL

For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Software For the Acer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thump

Thump

Software For the Acer Empty
PostSubject: Software For the Acer   Software For the Acer Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 12:59 pm

No Adobe Reader! Install foxit reader instead, it does the same thing without all the advertising and runs quickly and smoothly and doesn't grind and crunch the gears like Adobe reader does.

1. decrapifier
I'm going to put this first but you should downlaod an antivirus first and have it ready to install before you let decrapifier take off the aggravating trialware antivirus that they put on the machine and try to get you to buy.
2. Antivirus - I've been recommending AVG free and using it myself but maybe Avira antivirus would be as good or maybe better choice. Either way download and install one as soon as you remove the crap one.
3. A antimalware program - I use AdAware but a lot of people use and recommend Spybot. Either one should be ok and you can install both if you like. Sometimes one will find something the other missed.
4. Virtualization - Install Returnil and remember you have it if something unknown or slightly dangerous to your machine comes up. Install it and run it on VPC as well, I've got one using it all the time that I can start anytime.
5. Compression - XP and Vista support zip files natively but there are a lot of other compression files so I would download and install 7zip.
I've been using it for over a year now and it works fine for me.

I'll probably add on to this list as we get closer.

Non essential but needful things:
1. Browsers - Besides the new Internet Explorer that comes with Vista I'd install Firefox. The portable version was my preferred until the last update caused it to install anyway. Because of that probably should have Opera Portable that still works as a portable and uses no resources unless you turn it on. Anybody like Curly and I who work on web pages should have those at least. I also use OffbyOne.
2. PDF reader - Install and run foxitreader
3. Music - I don't use anything but the built in Windows Media Player myself and seldom listen to music. I saw Curly had that awful RealPlayer installed though. I'd prefer RealAlternative that does the same thing without advertising and using so much of the system's resources. There's a preferred application that read the same files and many more but I can't think of it right now.
4. Word processing - Top choice is Microsort Word, but might as well install Office anyway and it has it with it. There's a lot of free altenatives but if you install office you won't need the PowerPoint reader or the Excel reader.
5. Virtualization - Download and install Microsoft's free VPC (virtual pc)
if the extra ram is installed. You can run XP or Vista here with no danger of anything bad happening to your main operating system. Almost an essential program.
5. Compression - XP and Vista handle zip files natively but there are other kinds of compressed files so I'd download and install 7zip.
I've been using it a couple of years and like it fine.

I'll add to the list as I think of it as Friday approaches.

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com

Software For the Acer
Page 1 of 1