Thump's Place FL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thump's Place FL

For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Laptop/Nettop Security ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thump

Thump

Laptop/Nettop Security ? Empty
PostSubject: Laptop/Nettop Security ?   Laptop/Nettop Security ? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 am

I was thinking about Helen's new eeePC and Curly's new expensive laptop and
started thinking about physical security, these things could be stolen (or lost).
Have you got any tips on security Rock? Or is it mainly mental to discipline yourself
to know where it's at all the time? I'll need something else for Helen 'cause she's
just "unaware" of what's going on around her. She walks around with her pocketbook
overflowing with stuff falling out and/or blowing away.

I found a couple of articles from Kim and put them on one page Here
Maybe the program she suggested?

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Laptop/Nettop Security ?   Laptop/Nettop Security ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:46 am

I don't think we have any security like that on our laptops. I'll ask IT to make sure. I think if you lose it , you lose it!
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Laptop/Nettop Security ?   Laptop/Nettop Security ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 9:52 am

I don't know about the work laptop you have now but the one you had before with
Windows 2000 was password protected and wouldn't boot except through your network
and after you left that department it wouldn't boot anymore after a bit so they didn't
seem too concerned about the actual hardware, just the contents.

If you lost it and reported it, I don't know if they could do anything except not let it boot.
It would have been easy to get everything on it off though and/or install another OS.

I asked at the forum but none of the kids seem to be around anymore. Kevin (22 years
old) did give me a list of the usual methods but none of them seemed suitable for your
mother. I didn't pick Kim's first choice because of the constant e-mails and chose the
second, locatemylaptop. I wrote about it on a web page part two.

Part Two of "Protect that laptop!"

Part One (Previously posted)

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laptop/Nettop Security ?   Laptop/Nettop Security ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laptop/Nettop Security ?
Page 1 of 1