Thump's Place FL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thump's Place FL

For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rock's Computer Infection

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Thump

Thump

Rock's Computer Infection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock's Computer Infection   Rock's Computer Infection Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 7:20 am

rockhump wrote:
Thanks Thump,
When I ran Charter security yesterday, it quarantined it and removed it.. I like the F secure Charter provides for free as it's real time and has caught a few things.
You seem determined to stick with the Charter one and that's fine, at least you have
one. There's no use to try and extoll any virtues of it though. Everyone I mentioned
is real time and will catch some things, maybe more. You did get the trojan with it
running full time?
PS: Jeff Jay, Charter's VP of product development, said his company selected F-Secure to provide the anti-virus software. So it's really F-Secure rebranded.

rockhump wrote:
I did download the superspyware and will use it instead of adaware. It took alot longer than adaware to run a quick scan (about 43 minutes). Anyway, it only found 37 adware cookies.. I figured those were cookies so I could log into my websites automatically so I told it to leave them alone..
Nope. Those were tracking cookies that track the sites you visit to get info wo they
know what type of ads might get your attention the next time you go to their site.
They're usually pretty harmless though so you wouldn't have gotten a high alert.
I guess I'll put SuperAntispyware on Mom's but I haven't yet. It does briefly show a
thing on the screen when it boots up, just lasts a second or two though. There's
really no use for it to start up when you boot since it's on demand and not real
time.

rockhump wrote:
It must not have liked that answer as I had to type in some passwords when I went back online.
Turns out others had problems getting on to yahoo yesterday so wasn't my computer.
All good cookies expire. It's not meant to replace renewing your passwords from
time to time.

rockhump wrote:
How's week 2 of Ma's retirement going?
Still hard to tell. She stayed home Monday and sat out on the porch and read the
papers that had accumulated while she was at the conference 'til about 12:30.
Tuesday she went shopping, picked me up a cheap UPS for $30 to protect against
the lightning that's been coming in. Yesterday she took Cindy and her boyfriend to
the airport in Orlando, came back with some stuff she'd picked up at some store.
We'll see what she does today. She's been reading a lot and filling out some
tests.

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Rock's Computer Infection   Rock's Computer Infection Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks Thump,
When I ran Charter security yesterday, it quarantined it and removed it.. I like the F secure Charter provides for free as it's real time and has caught a few things. I did download the superspyware and will use it instead of adaware. It took alot longer than adaware to run a quick scan (about 43 minutes). Anyway, it only found 37 adware cookies.. I figured those were cookies so I could log into my websites automatically so I told it to leave them alone..It must not have liked that answer as I had to type in some passwords when I went back online.
Turns out others had problems getting on to yahoo yesterday so wasn't my computer.

How's week 2 of Ma's retirement going?
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Rock's Computer Infection   Rock's Computer Infection Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 am

rockhump wrote:
Hmmm.. Can't seem to go to any yahoo sites or your Thump page this morning. May just be a Yahoo/ your server deal. Will try yahoo from work. Did run an adaware scan and quarantined a virus which I'll look up at work but have included a screenshot.
The Screenshot Online

Well you could try and delete it yourself but it might say it's in use and can't be deleted.

From the picture you'd go to "My Computer" and click on C:\ drive
and then click "Documents and Settings"
click "ROCKY AND TRACY"
click "Local Settings"

Then you could try and delete "Temp" but it probably won't let you.
(If it does Windows will recreate and new empty "Temp" folder on boot

If it doesn't allow that go ahead and click "Temp" and then go to the top and click "edit" and then "Select All" from the menu and then try to delete and see. It doesn't hurt a thing to delete the temporary files where sites have stored stuff on your machine.
Whether that works or not, I'd still make changes to what you have.
First I'd download one of the top antivirus programs, I use Avira now myself. It's a little more in your face but that lets you know it's working but any of the top three. Then, I'd go to "Control Panel" and click "Add or Remove Software" and uninstall the Charter antivirus and then I'd install the new antivirus, get the latest updates for it and then do a complete thorough scan.

Avira Download
Avast Download
AVG Download

I see you had Ad-Aware up, it's probably old now. Their new one is supposed to be pretty good but the best one now is
Superantispyware.

SuperAntiSpyware download
Newest Ad-Aware download (Continues to maintain a reasonable detection rate
Cons: Many threats go undetected)
You don't have to uninstall Ad-Aware, you can have as many of these as you want.

I always have some CDs and stuff that I can boot to, to delete stuff if it's told the operating system that it's not to be deleted. Boot to the CD and the OS on the hard drive isn't running and doesn't know what your deleting or changing.

Thump
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock's Computer Infection   Rock's Computer Infection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock's Computer Infection
Page 1 of 1