Thump's Place FL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thump's Place FL

For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Should have bought a mac

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rockhump

rockhump

Should have bought a mac Empty
PostSubject: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 am

Tried to go in and turn off password for "post sleep" and realized I have other problems. Discovered how deep when I tried to uninstall Itunes ( going to start over with it as I have a gazillion duplicates). Anyway wouldn't uninstall. Found this on some forum but nobody answered back to him. Exactly my problem it sounds like. Tried to make the changes in regedit to the Enable LUA (change 1 to 0) but it doesn't like that change and won't keep it( error when writing or something like that)

Here's the forun writeup that went unanswered..

Hello everyon! I was messing with th UAC slider and now i’m having a major problem. And now i can’t get past the darn thing. I tried to go to the user account control setting and change everything back. But that UAC warning woud pop up, You know the one that say…do you want to allow the following program to make chang to you computer. And the only option it allow me to choose is no and yes woud be grayed out. I tried to diable the UAC in the registry but it keep giving me an error message saying it can’t be edited. If anyone could help I would truly be greatful. Because i don’t want to have to reinstall everything all over again. I also tried the restore to and earlier time option but like i said. The UAC warning would pop up and say no on it own without giving me the option to say yes.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:14 pm

EDIT2:
Right click the open desktop, choose "Personalize" at the bottom of the menu.
On the screen that loads, click Screensaver on the bottom right.
When the screensaver thingy pops up uncheck the box next to "On Resume, display logon screen" and
click Apply.
/EDIT2

EDIT:
Don't remember right off how to get to the place you change the screensaver so I clicked
the Start Orb and typed "change screensaver" and hit the enter key. Up popped the
screensaver thingy. On it there's a place that says "On Resume, display logon screen"
and it has a little box beside it. Mine's unchecked. Yours probably got checked someway.
Uncheck it and click the Apply button. Should be all you need.

If that doesn't fix it let me know and I'll look into "Power Management", a little more
complicated.
/EDIT

You were probably pretty lucky, you really shouldn't mess with the register unless you're
really good at it. Even then the first thing to do is back up the register in case you screw
up and it happens a lot. If you can still boot afterwards you can restore it pretty easy
then. Would have been nice if you'd backed it up before you installed itunes.

I won't install itunes or any other Apple crap. I installed their Safari browser to check it
out and test web pages to see how they looked on an Apple and it wouldn't uninstall
properly.

I've been researching VocalTec (CALL) all morning and forgot to look up the sleep thing but
it doesn't require any manual changes to the registry. I'll try to get back with the info
and also I'll refresh on how to disable UAC but you really shouldn't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:10 pm

My box is unchecked for screensaver "On Resume, display logon screen"
I'm pretty sure it's a user problem. I log in after sleep under "guest". I think I should be the adminstrator but I can't figure out how to get there.If I try to do anything much under user profiles under settings I get the same message the guy on the forum gets
"You know the one that say…do you want to allow the following program to make chang to you computer. And the only option it allow me to choose is no and yes woud be grayed out. I tried to diable the UAC in the registry but it keep giving me an error message saying it can’t be edited. "

Same message when trying to uninstall itunes (and probably anything else). I think there's a bug that has the "yes" greyed out and unselectable. It also says on that page "To continue, type the administrator's password" . There is no place to type an administrator's password..hahah on me! I would send a screenshot but it want take a screenshot of that popup window.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Well that's how it's supposed to be and has always been. The guest account is a
super safe limited user account. Any guest is not allowed to install or uninstall
anything.

It's even more limited than a limited user account like I have your mother using now.
Stops virus and malware from installing while you're using it. I wonder what else
you've done that I don't know about yet.

You're learning, if you can't get it running right you can run the restore and start all
over again. Or shrink the partition and create another and install an additional
instance of it using Windows 7 Ultimate this time like I have running on this one right
now. I don't know anyone in person who knows how to set up a new one, that's
why I do it for everyone. Wish I'd gotten my hands on that one and set it up for you.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Kevin sent the two most likely places but I think from XP, doesn't look like 7.
After you get off the guest account though.

Should have bought a mac PasswordOnResume

We already tried the one on the left.
Back to top Go down
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Sheesh.. Finally figured out to log into Safemode and deleted the guest account. However, it never would delete it and on reboot I was right back to guest account with little ability to change anything. Eventually was able to restore through safe mode to a couple of weeks ago. Alot of work to reimport bookmarks, etc. Macafee is pissed and won't play anymore..Fine. downloaded MSE and it seems ok.. Had to open as administrator to get it to run (took awhile to figure that out!). Might throw it all out in the yard and hook the XP puter back up!

A couple of other glitches since.. One of note, none of my pictures can be set to desktop backup.
The other is for now that Microsoft update won't work so some of the critical updates that had been done after the restore point are gone. Guess I better be carful until I get everything back right again.

Later
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:14 pm

You don't delete the guest account. You go to User Accounts and enable or unenable it.

It most likely kept the updates when it rolled back. Must not have been before whatever
happened to make it not boot to admin by default like mine still does.

Don't know what you mean about setting your pictures to desktop backup, if you meant
background that should be easy. Click the browse button and hunt for them. Don't really
know myself how to make a slideshow as the wallpaper but I do know it's possible.

Tell it to make a restore point then, that was probably the first one you had that you're
back to now. You can always set it all the way back to the way it came from the
factory any time you want to. Or install that Ultimate version besides and have both on
there, you get to chose at boot but it'll default to the new install you've made.

You lose whatever you've done up to now if you do the factory reinstall but it doesn't seem
like you're too happy with the results you have so far. Clean slate but still with
cripple ware that needs removed. A clean install would be better but you'd need to
download the drivers from the Dell page. At least the lan driver, then you could get the
rest after the install.

Sounds like it's corrupted someway, hope it'll work if you do another install. Don't know if you
caught something bad or it was a bad place on the hard drive. Windows just marks bad places
like they aren't there and doesn't even tell you and can't put whatever was on it back unless
you made an image.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Wish I had it a few days, I'd have it running like a top.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 8:51 am

You made a lot of bad decisions and I'm afraid one was deleting the Dell DataSafe.
If not go to it in the start menu and click it and get the screen below.
The choice under restore at the top puts it back like it came.

Should have bought a mac Delldatasafe100907

If that's gone you can
1. Call Dell, tell them you "accidently" uninstalled it and see if they have another way to
invoke it. The restore will still be there on it's own partition, you just don't have the
DataSafe to start it with.

2. I know a way to try but if it fails then it wouldn't boot anymore. I'll outline it on a
web page, too much for here.

3. Did we get any disks with these? If so they might can fix it. If you had an install
disk (DVD) you could reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium and use the key on the case
to install it. I don't think you have that, pretty sure I didn't send that one either. I can
get you one but it'll take a while to get it. Not really worth it though with the option
of Windows 7 Ultimate.

4. You can do the extra partition thing and leave all that trash on there and install
Ultimate on another partition.

5. You could try it the way I'd do it and end up with two installs, you'd always have
another to boot to if one got hosed. Not much good to wind up with one good one and the
one that doesn't work.

6. You could send it to me and I'd send it back working fine or I'd make Curly pay $300 for it
and you could go ahead and buy that Mac. I couldn't help you then if it got corrupted though,
juist could say I told you so.

I'll start a web page about how to do it a little later, watching VocalTec CALL while the
market opens lower.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:34 am

Started a instruction page HERE

I'll wait until you decide what you want to do and then write the rest.

Later
Back to top Go down
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah, deleted the Dell backup thing when it came up yesterday after the restore. I can probably go back and restore to where I did yesterday and get it back? Then I could restore from factory settings. I thought I read somewhere here that you said I didn't need it..Guess not. If that doesn't work, I can try the Ultimate partition. I don't care if the other partition is bad..Just won't boot to it!

I'm not overly concerned..It looks like it's protected with MSE and Tracy can check her mail. 8 hours on a computer a day at work is generally plenty for me.

Regarding the guest account enabling or disabling. You can't do either when you are perpetually logged in as a guest. Even disabling as administrator in safemode didn't do it the first few times I tried. Not sure how I finally got rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should have bought a mac   Should have bought a mac Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should have bought a mac
Page 1 of 1