Thump's Place FL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Thump's Place FL

For my friends and familys amusement and edification

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Windows 7 screensaver

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rockhump

rockhump

Windows 7 screensaver Empty
PostSubject: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:58 am

Darned ol screensaver quit working a few days ago. Not sure what I may have downloaded/installed/etc. that may have caused it. Have changed it several times as well as the time for how long it takes to come on but nothing seems to work. I have to get two crowns tomorrow morning at the dentist so I should have more time to study it tomorrow afternoon. Need to find hibernate as well so if the screensaver doesn't come on, at least the monitor will eventually go black.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Hibernate first. I don't use it on desktops so hadn't noticed it's absence.
I'd make a shortcut for it on the desktop. You can make one in the menu
but it's not worth it.

1. Right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop
2. Choose “New-Shortcut” from the context menu
3. In the box labeled "Type the location of the item:" enter:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -h
4. Click "Next"
5. Enter a name for the shortcut and click "Finish"

Name it anything you like, "Hibey" if you want. The -h is the hibernate switch. It's not complicated
just because it has % and \ in it and a space before the switch. You can type that.

Not sure what your screensaver problem is but we'll get it sorted. I'll check it and get back on
here later. Not too important.

Point:
Screensaver has no useful function anymore. I think the default is just a blank dark screen.
Whether it's that or has something floating around doesn't matter. It uses the same electricity
showing dark as it does with bright colors and it doesn't hurt the monitor either way.

You could just go Here and press F!! for full screen.
I do it sometimes just for the fun of it but hardly anyone would know how to change it back
by pressing the F11 key again and so can't mess with your desktop.

I'll check the screensaver thing though and get back to you. Did you make a special one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thumpnet.com
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 pm

To change a screen saver

1. Open Screen Saver Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type screen saver, and then click Change screen saver.

2. In the Screen saver dialog box, click the screen saver that you want to use, and then click OK.

Tip

To see what your screen saver will look like, after clicking the screen saver that you want to use, click Preview. To end the screen saver preview, move your mouse or press any key, and then click OK to save your changes.
Back to top Go down
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 am

Made the hibey shortcut and it doesn't appear to work much differently than just doing a normal shutdown. Still have to press the power button on the tower to get it back up. Not to mention you have to click it manually as it doesn't work automatically after 10 minutes or so. Still working on it. Read a bunch of forums last night and I sense the whole Windows 7 hibey/sleep/screensaver stuff is buggy in Win 7 (much like Vista apparently).
Might be the wireless mouse I bought but everything worked fine for a couple of weeks after I bought it. Will put the wired one back on today to test it.

Yeah, I can find the screensaver setting easily enough through control panel and have changed it and the time before activation several times to no avail. Will keep messing with stuff and let you know.

Off to the dentist shortly.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 am

Yes, to come out of hibernation you have to click the on button. It loads where you were and any
open windows and is faster than just booting up. It saves your state on the hard drive and then
puts it back. It works even if you lose power while it's in hibernation. Hibernation has nothing
to do with the mouse or keyboard.

Sleep, which is on the menu, saves the state to ram, much faster but it loses it if you lose
power. It only uses a trickle to keep the ram powered up. It's much faster 'cause ram is
faster than a hard drive. It comes back on if you hit the keyboard and/or move and click the mouse.

I reset Helen's netbook to hibernate when the lid is closed now for faster startup. I had it set
to take no action when the lid was closed when I was using it so I could close the lid and carry
it somewhere else without it going off. She usually closes the lid with the browser open to her
home page and it opens back up with her home page open in the browser.
Back to top Go down
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 7:53 am

Got it workin now..Screensaver comes on at 7 minutes and sleep in 20 minutes. Unplugged my USB and magic jack and it started working..Crazy. Plugged the USB back in and it still works. Might plug the MJ back in this weekend to see if I can induce the problem again, I doubt it had anything to do with it but it seems like I lost my screensaver/sleep when the MJ started saying you're about to expire. Don't know but I'm happy for now.
Back to top Go down
Thump

Thump

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 am

Hee hee, you'll get a bill for the magicJack renewal. Maybe it didn't register with you.

rockhump wrote:
Finally figured out how to get the 19.95 special for MJ. You have to into "my magicjack" to see this reduced rate. Mine says it will be auto renewed on Aug 24th
From your post HERE

I don't know where from 'cause I don't know if you had it set on a credit card or paypal.
You will be billed.
Back to top Go down
rockhump

rockhump

PostSubject: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 6:51 am

Well, no charge to my Visa as of yet and I'm sure they don't have my bank account info. Still not convinced that you didn't pay for it last year and I sent you 20 bucks in the mail. I guess we'lll see over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 screensaver   Windows 7 screensaver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 screensaver
Page 1 of 1